Last review date 01/09/2023
IMPORTANT: The eligibility as defined in the Green Book for seasonal influenza and COVID-19 vaccines is similar but not identical. This has resulted in differences between the underlying code-sets which are used in the Ardens reports for both. This means that whilst you may think some patients should be included in both the seasonal influenza and COVID-19 invitation reports, some patients might just be included in the seasonal influenza invitation reports but not the COVID-19 invitations reports, and vice versa. Some practices may be planning to give both vaccinations concurrently if clinically appropriate.
We are aware that some practices may be planning joint clinics , but the patient would still need separate Flu and COVID invitations, even if they are booked into a single joint clinic. The invitation wording for each vaccine could refer to the possibility of administering both but the individual patient’s eligibility and suitability for either / both vaccinations should be checked prior to vaccination.
In accordance with the COVID-19 and influenza vaccination 2023/2024 service specifications, practices must administer vaccinations to patients in the following priority order:
- From 11 September 2023 – flu and COVID-19 vaccination of care home residents and housebound
- From 11 September 2023 – flu and COVID-19 vaccination of all other eligible cohorts, starting with those at most risk, including those who are immunosuppressed
- From 18 September 2023 - flu and COVID-19 vaccination of all other eligible cohorts
There is no change to flu vaccination for children, as previously communicated the date is :
- From 1 September 2023 – flu vaccinations for 2-3 year olds, school-age children (reception to year 11) and children in clinical risk groups
For those practices that wish to invite eligible patients to attend a clinic for both the flu and COVID vaccines at the same time, we recommend the following process:
Step 1 - Invite Patients for the Flu Vaccine
We suggest initially sending invitations to all eligible flu patients, practices may wish to inform patients in the invitation sent that they will be offered the COVID vaccine at the same time if eligible.
To identify patients to be invited for a flu vaccine, go to 'Reporting > Clinical Reporting > Ardens Ltd > Vaccinations > Flu | 2023 24 | 5 Invitations all'. These will show you all eligible patients aged 18 years and over broken down by 1st, 2nd and 3rd invitations.
or 'Reporting > Clinical Reporting > Ardens Ltd > Vaccinations > Flu | 2023 24 | 5 Invitations by group'. These reports will give you a breakdown by age and vaccine type for 1st, 2nd and 3rd invitation.
Step 2 - Invite Patients for COVID Vaccine
Once the required patients have been invited for a flu vaccine, the next step is to indicate the patient has also been invited for a COVID vaccine. To locate the reports folder go to 'Reporting > Clinical Reporting > Ardens Ltd > Vaccinations > C19 | 04 Autumn 2023 | Invitation'. Here you will find a set of reports for 1st, 2nd or 3rd invitation as normal and the following additional reports;
- 'C19 Autumn 2023 | Eligible for COVID vaccine and flu vaccine invite sent' - this will return all patients that have been sent an invitation for flu, if you have notified the patients that they will receive a COVID vaccine at the same time, you may wish to appropriately code that a COVID vaccine invitation has also been sent, otherwise you may wish to now send a COVID invitation.
- 'C19 Autumn 2023 | Eligible for COVID vaccine + NO flu vaccine invite or not eligible' - this will return patients that are due an invitation for a COVID vaccine, and they have not yet been invited for flu. This may be because they are not eligible for flu. If you have done all flu invites, then please use this search to invite for COVID vaccination only.
Aternatively, if you go to 'Reporting > Clinical Reporting > Ardens Ltd > Vaccinations > Flu | 2023 24 | 5 Invitations flu and C19'. There is a set of reports for combined flu and COVID19 - all for 1st, 2nd or 3rd invitation.
Please note - patients will be excluded from these invite searches if they are housebound or care home residents (separate searches available for these), have been coded with a COVID allergy, contraindication or declined code.
If you go to 'Reporting > Clinical Reporting > Ardens Ltd > Vaccinations > C19 | 05 Autumn 2023 | Visits' or 'Flu | 2023 24 | 6 Visits' you will find a set of reports for care home residents and a further breakdown of your housebound patients by flu and COVID vaccination or both.
For further details on the full use of the flu vaccination reporting suite, access the following support article.
For further details on the full use of the COVID vaccination reporting suite, access the following support article.
If you require further assistance on the process above, please contact Ardens support on: email@example.com