Pregabalin and Gabapentin are to be reclassified as Schedule 3 Controlled Drugs from April 2019
SystmOne will start treating these medications as Controlled Drugs from 19th March.
SystmOne will also be making the following changes:
- Scripts produced for Pregabalin or Gabapentin prior to 19th March from SystmOne will not be legally dispensable after 1st April.
- Scripts produced for Pregabalin or Gabapentin from SystmOne after 19th March will only be valid for 28 days.
- It will not be possible to repeat dispense Pregabalin or Gabapentin after 19th March.
- Whether or not the dispensing of Pregabalin and Gabapentin needs to be countersigned will be controlled by the organisation preference "Dispensing of controlled drugs must be countersigned" under Dispensing & Stock Control > Stock Control.
- The ability to variably dispense Pregabalin and Gabapentin will be controlled by the organisation preference "Allow variable dispensing of variable dose controlled drugs" under Prescribing > FP10MDA Printing.
From the 1st of April, Pregabalin and Gabapentin can not be dispensed form a repeat dispensing prescription. Patients who currently have Pregabalin or Gabapentin on a repeat dispensing prescription will need to be identified and switch to a normal repeat prescription. To identify these patients we have published a report in Clinical Reporting > Ardens > Alerts | CAS > "Gabapentin or Pregabalin on repeat dispensing after the 1st of April 2019 - Review and switch to standard repeats before April 1st". This report will identify patients with a prescription for Pregabalin and Gabapentin which has been forward dated to after the 1st of April.
Quantity and Directions
Under the controlled drug regulations the dose for Pregabalin and Gabapentin must be clearly written. Directions of "as directed" will no longer be legally valid. There is a good practice requirement that the quantity of Schedule 3 CDs be limited to a maximum of 30 days treatment. To enable practices to quickly review their patients dose and quantity we have created a report and report output to display this information. The report has been published in Clinical Reporting > Ardens > Alerts | CAS > Run the report "Gabapentin or Pregabalin on repeat - Review quantity and directions". To quickly review your patients right click and select "Show patients", from the list of patient at the top of the screen click "Select Output" choose "Predefined report output" and then select the output called "Gabapentin/Pregablin CD Review" and click ok. You should then see a list of patients and the medication, dose and quantity for their most recent prescription.